Saturday, August 11, 2012

Wholesome Beer Pizza Crust

One of my kids favorite nights in our house is Make Your Own Pizza night! We do it at least once a week. In my quest for adventure, I was inspired by one of our favorite beer & pizza joints to put a spin on my favorite homemade pizza dough recipe. Thus Wholesome Beer Pizza Crust!

First things first... The Beer! To me the darker the beer the better. It has more flavor and more color :0) Since I didn't have a good stout or porter on hand I go to my no fail which just happens to be Killians Irish Red.


Generally the beer is always cold in this house, so I end up having to heat it up in the microwave for about 30-45 seconds. You don't want it to be super hot just warm or it will kill the yeast. If the yeast dies then you wont have a nice fluffy dough, you'll have hockey pucks. But they still taste good.


Now for my favorite part, because it makes me feel like a mad scientist (I usually call the kids into the kitchen for it too). Adding the yeast to the beer and the bubbly explosive reaction the two have ingredients have together.


Now for the dry ingredients and the olive oil goodness. I just toss all those in to the bowl.


Attach the hook, and turn it on slowly adding the yeast mixture. After that's in turn up the speed and scrape the sides down occasionally.



I use my kitchen aid. I used to do it by hand, and had that technique down. Took me a bit to get used to the mixer. You just have to know what to look for in the dough, like a dough whisperer. This is half way in the mixing process.


When the dough starts pulling from the sides and mostly clings to the hook. I start the timer for 5 minutes to allow the mixer to kneed it. (If your dough isn't pulling from the sides add just a bit more flour, start with 1/4 cup.)


After 5 minutes of kneading it should be nice and smooth. Worked its way up the hook and clinging for dear life.


I take the hook, dough and all out. Then pour about a tablespoon of olive oil in the bottom of the bowl.


Then scrape the dough ball off the hook into the bowl. Rolling it in the oil and slathering the sides of the bowl.


And that's all it takes. About 20 minutes to throw together a handmade dough. Now cover and let it rest and rise for until doubled. At minimum 45 minutes.


You can store this dough for later use! If I make it in the morning for that night I just cover it with plastic wrap in the bowl and put it in the fridge. Then pull it out to rise later in the day. If I have left over, it freezes well too. Just coat it in oil and put it in a zip bag, then freeze. I either put it in the fridge to thaw, then pull it out to rise, or if I'm in a hurry I defrost it in the microwave a bit then let it rise on the counter in the bag.

What to do with the rest of the beer... Drink it! Or Stay tuned for my Bacon Cheddar Beer Dog Treats recipe.

Enjoy,

Jess




Wholesome Beer Pizza Crust

1 Cup Beer (Darker the Better)
1 yeast Packet (or 2 1/4 tsp.)

1 1/2 Cups Wheat Flour
1 Cup White Flour
1 Tbls Brown Sugar
1 Tsp Kosher Salt
2 Tbls Olive Oil

Warm beer to no more than 120F. Add yeast and let dissolve.

In Mixer bowl add flours, sugar, salt, & olive oil.

Slowly mix in yeast mixture until combined. Then kneed for 5 minutes until smooth. Put dough in oiled bowl & cover to let rise until doubled.

Roll out dough & bake on sheet pan sprinkled with cornmeal or flour for 15 minutes at 400F.

No comments:

Post a Comment